Friday, February 26, 2010

TV Review: Dwarf Shows


Have we had enough of these shows about midgets, or what? I swear, every time I turn on the TV there's some new show on basic cable about ice road truckers - who are also little people!

As far as I'm concerned, what kicked it all off was the TLC special, "The Smallest People in the World" featuring poor Sharon, a primordial dwarf with regular-sized teeth. Oh, my word. That'll make you cry. In case you don't know, primordial dwarfism produces people who are teeny tiny, like this dude (no, that's not Photoshopped). It's pretty rare, but like, aren't their lives tough enough without calling them "primordial"? I mean, it doesn't sound nice, because what do you think of when you hear the word "primordial"? Ooze, right? Not nice.

Then that spawned "Little People, Big World" about the tractor-riding drunken Roloff family of dwarves somewhere in the midwest. BORING. They run a pumpkin patch or something and it's all well and good, but who cares?

Then they started with this "Littlest Couple" which I've never seen but I think is about a couple of dwarves trying to have a kid. Whatever.

Then, things started getting really nutty. "The Little Chocolatiers" is yet another show about a confectionery-type company (like "Cake Boss" or "Ace of Cakes"), but is different because it's RUN BY MIDGETS. Are you kidding me? Sigh.

Over on Animal Planet, they've got "Pit Boss", which as far as I can ascertain is about a group that runs an illegal pit bull breeding and dog fighting business but, you guessed it, is comprised of dwarfs (the people, not the pit bulls).

ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE MIDGETS. If the point of these shows is to show that they are just like "regular people" then LEAVE THEM THE HELL ALONE. Stop trotting them out and making them hop on a step stool in front of the cameras so they can pay for gum at the store. This whole "they're just like us, see?" idea is a crock, because if they were, they wouldn't be on TV. Just let them do their thing!

3 comments:

  1. I am not as annoyed with all the dwarf shows as I am with the shows that feature people with a million kids. The one I hate the most is 19 kids and counting. That Dugger family makes me nuts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dwarf lady with large teeth immediately made me think of this Monty Python sketch, starting about 1 minute and 30 seconds in...

    Film Director (big teeth)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm annoyed because it used to be a fun surprise when you walked into a veterinary hospital @ 1am and there was a black midget sitting there texting to his fat white girlfriend with the word "F*CK" tattooed on her neck (in a wedding invitation/Latin Kings-ish script) who, incidentally, is moored right next to him like a Mack truck in a Burger King parking lot.

    Now it's like "meh..."

    ReplyDelete