Thursday, May 7, 2009

Capri-diculous.


Well, it's that time again: capri season is upon us. A time when those not bold enough to wear shorts and too sweaty to don regular pants decide to half-ass it by slapping on a pair of these aberrations.

WHAT ARE THESE THINGS? Also known as a clam digger, pedal pusher or cankle pants, capris merely serve to visually sever the leg at its most unattractive point: mid calf. Proportionately, the math is all wrong: hiding 2/3 of the leg and showing 1/3? It doesn't work. 98% of the time, the result is a stumpy looking leg with an awkward swath of flesh beneath. They either look like pants that are way too short or shorts that are way too long.

Why do they even make these things? What are they even achieving from a practical, non-fashion standpoint? Letting your ankles breathe? How hot are they getting? And now dudes are wearing them, causing the annoying "manpri" to be incorporated into our vocabulary. Thank goodness the related and horrifying gaucho pant uprising of 2005 was quelled fairly rapidly. When will this capri madness end?

Someone defend these things to me. Am I the only one not getting it?

3 comments:

  1. yes, you may be the only one...

    for some reason i do like the way they look on me even though i agree that is a weird place to cut off my leg.

    but do you want the real reason they are so popular...its so lazy bitches only have to shave half their leg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what if you ever can't find pants that are long enough? my fashion is capri avec socks in the winter and sans - but no open toed shoes (gross)- in the summer. I'm all about comfort over fashion. Capris on other people bother me, but not as much flip flops as everyday footwear. They belong on the beach people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ya, sister, on the capris. I just don't understand them. But that might because I've spent my whole life searching for pants that are long enough for me...I can't just turn around and purchase short ones on purpose.

    And I don't understand flip-flops year round for every purpose, either. Not comfy, not good for your feet and legs, not attractive.

    ReplyDelete