Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bathroom Attendance.


Oh, man. There are lots of crappy-ass jobs out there: crab fisherperson, proctologist, uninsured day-laborer... But one of the worst has to be that of bathroom attendant.

Ugh. The fact that someone has to spend their entire day in a public bathroom is almost too depressing to bear. I can think of fewer places I'd rather be. I mean, it beats like, living in a box or whatever worst case horrible situation you can think of, for sure, but man...

And as a human who needs to use the bathroom from time to time, I'm also kind of resentful that in order to attend to an unstoppable biological need, I am forced to be confronted with an awkward situation which ALSO includes tipping, to make it that much more awkward. Some people have "shy bladders", you know. If someone is in that bathroom with them, it just prolongs the transaction. And I can actually get my own paper towel, but I sincerely thank you for offering one to me. I'll also pass on the perfume, but thanks again. And if I'm at this event or whatever for longer than 2 hours, I'll probably be seeing you several times. Do we need to go through this dance each time? And should I leave a tip each time? I'm running out of singles.

I just hate everything about it. It gives me the sads. Thoughts?

7 comments:

  1. Liz I´m on the other end of the spectrum. Bathroom attendants have been part of my life since childhood and I couldn´t go without them. Stranger attendandts at weddings and discoteques keep me smelling fresh, offer a toothpick, and are quick with a joke or to light up my smoke. Maybe, in all seriousness, it has to do with the gender of your attendants...like a gynocologist... are you put off because they are male, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have yet to run across an opposite-sex attendant in the bafroom, but this is an interesting take. really, the core of the issue is that i can think of fewer more unpleasant places in the western world than a public bathroom in which to spend a majority of one's waking hours...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure whether or not "uninsured day laborer" was a crappy job. Now I know! Where were you 9 months ago when I needed you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. completely agree, i don't always go into the ladies room with money on my person so then i leave with all this guilt because i'm guessing they need those tips because the pay is sh....

    well you know what i mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. my very favorite bathroom attendants are the ones at RICES....there is nothing like it.

    it should be on your bucket list if you haven't experienced this loveliness

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm scared. do they try to barter with you before they give you a paper towel?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "New Rule: And this one is long overdue: No more bathroom attendants. After I zip up, some guy is offering me a towel and a mint like I just had sex with George Michael. I can't even tell If he's suppose d to be there, or just some freak with a fetish. I don't want to be on your webcam, Dude. I just want to wash my hands." - > George Carlin

    ReplyDelete