Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wee Boy.


While walking home today, I came upon a family sort of clustered around a sewer grate, just kind of standing there and staring down the alley. As I got closer, I noticed that there was a stream of water coming from the 2-3 year old boy and going into said sewer.

On one hand, I guess he was just more or less eliminating the middle man by peeing directly into the sewer. On the other hand, ewww. But I guess it was better than peeing on the side of a building. Or having an accident. But now is he going to grow up thinking he can whiz whenever the mood strikes (as long as there's some sort of drain involved)? Because there are already too many people who are laboring under that delusion. I used to live off of South Street in Philadelphia (where the fabled hippies meet) and every time I looked out the window, there was some clown micturating in the alleyway. It got to the point where I would hold up score cards for them.

While we're on the topic, there seems to be an inordinate amount of like, Snapple bottles partially filled with liquid laying around on the city streets. Have you noticed this? My husband is convinced they are all filled with urine, and I have a friend who supports the same theory. This is confusing. Why bother peeing into a bottle, sealing it, and then leaving it somewhere? If you're gonna do that, just do like the little kid and go directly into the sewer. Am I wrong?

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm...I agree but if you're in the car on the way to the Phillies game, you may not be able to pee in the sewer. Snapple bottle may be your only answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can defend the toddler peeing in the sewer thing. Sometimes we moms of potty training kids get desperate and crazy. And I've been guilty of allowing my diaperless boy pee over the drain in the Y shower. I'm not proud of this, mind you, but sometimes there are true emergencies.

    The Snapple bottle pee, however, I don't get. Why not at least throw it in the trash? I mean, you took the time and made the effort to put the urine in the bottle, why can't you take an extra 3 seconds to put the bottle in the trash?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mind you, from an ecological point of view, every time a guy takes a leek outside a toilet he's doing his little part to help the planet by not flushing 2 gallons of water down the drain... non? And Rembrandt did some beautiful drawings of people relieving themselves. so there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they are filled with pee. They are called "Trucker Bombs" and they litter the side of every roadway in America, particularly Rt. 80, where I've spent a lot of time excavating a prehistoric site along the side of the highway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years ago I was at the 4th of July concert at the Art Museum. The guy next to us was too lazy to walk to a port-a-potty, so he peed into his empty soda bottle, which he then kick away toward my friends and I. Soon after he began making out with his girlfriend include some under the shirt action. I wanted to say to her, "You do realize he just peed into a bottle and clearly has not washed his hands."

    ReplyDelete