Thursday, February 12, 2009

Muzak Magic.


Who likes grocery shopping? Yeah, me, neither. The grocery store that's most convenient to me is also the suckiest. I went in there today and they're re-doing it, presumably to make it suck less. Except the way they're doing this is by installing lighting that makes all the shoppers look like extras in Shawn of the Dead, putting in freezers with shelving that no human with an average armspan could possibly reach, and evidently playing oldies on the sound system. Not like, some oldies. ALL OLDIES.

I don't want to feel like I'm in a malt shop or sliding around on the vinyl backseat of my parents' 1972 Plymouth Satellite as my mom careens around the corners with the radio going (what seatbelts?!) when I'm food shopping. I want to feel like I'm in the grocery store. I want to hear some Michael McDonald, Eagles or the muzak version of "Living in America" as I check the expiration dates. I don't want the Big Bopper or Frankie Valli. I want my Seals & Crofts! 

Although, isn't it way worse when you're in a store and there's NO music on at all? You start feeling like something bad is going to go down or that they closed the place and accidentally locked you in. Worse, you start questioning your purchases, the institution of capitalism and your existence. Maybe "Chantilly Lace" ain't so bad, after all. No, wait - yes, it is.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna know where you get your pictures from?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the grocery store you speak of is quite sucky (it is also my most convenient). But nothing beats the Shop Rite is South Philly. My friends went there in search of pineapple juice. They were told the store does not carry it...but they do carry pineapple soda.

    ReplyDelete